I have used Evernote for several years and I recently purchased a new MacBook with OS X Mavericks. I set all my software as normal and found Evernote in the App Store. I downloaded and installed, and my notes populated as normal. A few days go by and I notice I can’t see any Evernote notes in my spotlight search. I remember it used to work on my old mac, why not this one? I searched around a bit online and decided to open a ticket with Evernote. I thought being a premium subscriber, I’d get quick support and get this resolved asap. Not the case! I opened a ticket on 4/11/14 – and still haven’t gotten resolution after multiple back and forth with support. Their suggestion was to re-index my Mac. This did not fix the problem. I was convinced it was an Evernote issue, not a Mac / spotlight / indexing issue.
After my frustration with Evernote support – I started searching the forums and came across this: The issue was with the App Store version of Evernote. The fix was to completely remote Evernote using steps below and reinstall using the manual download from the Evernote site:
1. Close any web browsers with Evernote plugins:
* Close Safari
* Close Firefox
* Close Chrome
2. Ensure that the Evernote Helper is not running
(It is not sufficient to reboot the system if the Evernote helper is set to restart on login)
In a terminal session:
- ps alwwx | grep -i evernote
- Kill the process “EvernoteHelper”
3. Remove the following files
(This may require root privileges – as ‘sudo’)
- sudo rm -rf /Applications/Evernote.app
- rm -rf ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote
- rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.evernote.Evernote.plist
- rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.evernote.EvernoteThumbnailer.plist
- rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.evernote.SafariClipperPlugin.plist
4. Download and reinstall Evernote from the Evernote website as normal.
5. Login with your account and you are back in business. Spotlight will now be able to search your Evernote notes!